10 interesting facts you didn't know about Sundar Pichai
Sundar Pichai, has been appointed the new CEO of Google amid an important structural overhaul by the tech giant.
Google has created a holding company called Alphabet. Under the new corporate structure, the Google unit will encompass the core search engine as well Google Maps and YouTube.
Here are some facts about Pichai which perhpas you did not know
- *Sundar Pichai was born in Chennai, India in 1972. He is 43 years old.
- * His real name is Pichai Sundarajan, though he is better known as Sundar Pichai.
- *Pichai most recently served as the company's senior vice president of products.
- *He has been largely responsible for the creation of Google Drive, the Gmail app and Google video codec.
- *A soccer fan who hails from Tamil Nadu state in southern India, Pichai holds a master's degree from StanfordUniversity and an MBA from the University of Pennsylvania's WhartonSchool.
- *Early on in his career at Google, which he joined in 2004 after a stint at Applied Material and McKinsey, Pichai floated the idea of a new browser.
- The suggestion was not very well received since it was thought that there was no need for another browser. Today, Chrome is the leading web browser in the world, displacing Microsoft's Internet Explorer which dominated the market for decades.
- *It is rumoured that Twitter tried to hire Pichai four years ago but Google paid him exorbitantly higher pay to stay back on his job in Google.
- *Was rumoured to be a candidate for the top job at Microsoft, which went to Satya Nadella.
- *Went to IIT Kharagpur before doing an MS from StanfordUniversity and an MBA from The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
- * He is always forthcoming to discuss his ideas and new projects with fellow IIT-ians at Kharagpur.