How to disable WhatsApp blue ticks for read messages
NEW DELHI: Recently, WhatsApp quietly introduced a new feature that lets users know that their messages have been read, with the double grey ticks appearing in front of the messages turning blue.
And now, just as quietly, the mobile messaging service is letting users of its Android app disable the feature with the rollout of WhatsApp version 2.11.444. This version is available for users on WhatsApp's website for now, and will eventually be rolled out to all users.
Here's how you can disable the blue coloured read receipts' with the message timestamp on WhatsApp's Android app:
1. Make sure that your smartphone is running on Android 2.1 or a newer version.
2. Go to settings menu and enable 'Download from Unknown Sources' in the Security tab
3. Go to the WhatsApp website and download the APK (application) file available under www.whatsapp.com/Android/
4. Once the APK file is downloaded to your device, tap the 'Install' option.
6. Now that WhatsApp has been updated, select Settings > Account > Privacy. Under the Privacy tab, uncheck the Read Receipts option.