MPMC Quetion Bank
UNIT – 1
Part – A
⦁ Explain the concept of segmented memory? What are its advantages?
⦁ Differentiate between microprocessor and microcontroller?
⦁ Explain physical address formation in 8086?
⦁ Sketch and discuss flag register of 8086 in brief.
⦁ Explain the instruction queue in 8086?
⦁ Describe the various interrupts in 8086? Explain.
Part – B
1. A) Explain the architecture of 8086 microprocessor with neat diagram.
b) List the differences between microprocessors and microcontrollers?
2. a) Discuss the use of the instruction queue? What is the length of the instruction queue in 8086?
b) Explain the register organization of 8086.
3. a) Explain different types of registers in 8086 microprocessor architecture.
b) Explain the memory segmentation in 8086 microprocessor.
4. a) Explain the pin out functions of 8086 given below.
i) BHE ii) MIN/MX iii) ALE IV) AD0-AD15
b) Sketch the pin diagrams of minimum and maximum mode operations of 8086.
5. a) Explain the maximum mode operation of 8086 with its read cycle timing diagram.
b) Explain the architectural features in 8086 microprocessors.
6. a) Explain the minimum mode operation of 8086 with its write cycle timing diagram.
b) Describe instruction pipeline? How is it implemented in 8086? Is it an advantage or disadvantage?
CMR TECHNICAL CAMPUS
Kandlakoya (V), Medchal Road, Hyderabad - 501 401
Ph.No: 9247033440/41 Website: www.cmrtc.ac.in
UNIT – 2
Part – A
⦁ Describe the general format of 8086 instructions?
⦁ List the addressing modes in 8086?
⦁ Explain difference between direct and indirect addressing modes?
⦁ List the various types of instructions in 8086.
⦁ Explain difference between CALL and JUMP instructions.
⦁ Explain the function of assembler directives.
Part – B
1. a) Differentiate between procedures and macros. Give some examples.
b) Explain in detail about the following instructions with examples
i) CMPSB ii) LODS iii) MOVSW iv) REPZ.
2. a) Explain the instruction format of instructions in 8086 with examples.
b) What is an addressing mode? Explain the following addressing modes of 8086 with examples
i. Based indexed addressing
ii. Register indirect addressing
iii. Indexed addressing with displacement
3. a) Define PUSH and POP instructions and give examples. Explain the stack operation.
b) Construct an ALP to transfer N bytes of data from source to destination.
4. a). Construct an ALP to find the minimum number from an array of given 10 numbers.
b) Define an assembler directive? Explain any five assembler directives.
5. a) Explain the instructions related to arithmetic and logical shift instructions.
b) Explain the following assembler directives
i) ASSUME ii) SEGMENT iii) EQU iv) DW. v) ENDS
vi) ENDP vii) DD viii) OFFSET
6. a) Explain the addressing modes in 8086 with an example each.
b) If CS = 6000 H, DS=7000 H, SS=5000 H, ES=3000 H, SI = 0F00 H, DI = 0040 H, BP = 0080 H, SP=0010 H, AX=000F H, BX =5200 H, CX =8000H, DX=2000 H. Compute effective address and physical address of the following instructions.
i) MOVSB II) MUL CX, (BP+02H)
III) PUSH AX IV) ADD DX, ES: [SI]
UNIT – 3
Part – A
⦁ Explain the different modes of operation of 8255.
⦁ Explain the use of handshaking signals used in 8255.
⦁ Organize the structure of interrupt vector table of 8086.
⦁ Compare parallel and serial type of data transfer.
⦁ Differentiate between synchronous and asynchronous data transfer.
⦁ List the features of 8251.
Part – B
1. a) Sketch the architecture of 8255 and explain its operating modes.
b) Explain various modes of operation of 8255 (PPI) with its control word formats.
2. a) Sketch the interfacing diagram for 8086 in minimum mode with following specifications
i) Two RAM of 16K×8 ii) Two EPROM of 8K×8
b) Explain the structure of interrupt vector table of 8086.
3. a) How do you interface ADC to microprocessor? Sketch the Interfacing diagram of an 8 bit ADC to 8086.
b) Explain the sequence of operations of interrupt handling in 8086.
4. a) with a neat sketch explain how 8251 is interfaced with the 8086.
b) Sketch the interfacing diagram for 8086 in minimum mode with following specifications
i) 16KB RAM ii) 8KB EPROM
5. a) Describe the sequence of steps for interfacing 7-Segment display with its interfacing diagram.
b) Explain how to interface 4x4 matrix keyboard with 8086.
6. a) Explain the use of handshaking signals used in 8255.
b) Sketch the Interfacing of DAC with 8086. Write an A.L.P. in 8086 to generate a triangular waveform of time period 2m secs using D/A converter interface?
UNIT – 4
Part – A
⦁ Differentiate between microprocessors and microcontrollers.
⦁ List the features of 8051 microcontrollers
⦁ Explain different registers in 8051.
⦁ Explain timers/counters operating modes.
⦁ Explain serial communication modes.
⦁ Describe the special function register formats of TMOD, TCON, and SCON.
Part – B
1. a) Explain in detail the memory organization of 8051 microcontroller.
b) Explain arithmetic instructions in 8051 microcontroller.
2. a) Sketch the architecture of 8051 microcontroller.
b) Explain the difference between MOV, MOVC, MOVX instructions.
3. a) Explain the addressing modes of 8051.
b) Describe the difference between LJMP, SJMP and AJMP instructions.
4. a) Sketch the pin diagram of 8051 microcontroller. Describe function of following pins:
i) PSEN ii) ALE iii) EA
b) Explain the functions of ports in 8051.
5. Explain the following
a) MOVX b) PSEN c) SWAP d) XCHD e) DJNZ
6. a) Explain the stack operation of 8051.
b) Construct a program to move the data into the memory locations 30, 31, 32, 33 using push and without using push instructions.
UNIT – 5
Part – A
⦁ Differentiate between the operations of timer and counter.
⦁ List different interrupts of 8051 microcontroller
⦁ Explain the role of C/T bit in the TMOD register.
⦁ Name all interrupts in the 8051 and their vector table addresses.
⦁ Sketch and explain the format of SCON register.
⦁ Explain the formats of IE and IP SFR’s.
Part – B
1. Explain the following SFR’s.
⦁ PSW b) SCON c) TMOD d) TCON
2 a) Explain the different modes of timer operations in 8051.
b) Draw the logic diagram of timer/counter and explain its working.
3 a) Explain the programming of timer/counter in 8051.
b) Explain the TMOD, TCON register formats.
4 a) List out the steps involved in programming the 8051 to transfer data serially.
b) Explain the register organization of 8051
5 a) Explain in detail the serial communication registers in the 8051.
b) Explain programming the serial communication interrupts.
6 a) Explain different types of interrupts in 8051?
b) Write the program for the 8051 to transfer letter ‘A’ serially at 4800 baud rate continuously?.